Trinity Suburb (Trojeckaje Pradmiescie)
The suburb is a reconstructed old district of the city, located on Trinity Hill (Troitskaya Gora) in the center of Minsk. This is a great place with restaurants, museums, theaters and old-style buildings. If one day you decide to visit Minsk and go on an excursion around it, do not miss the chance to include “Trinity Suburb” in the list of priority areas.
Airport Minsk-2 is located 40 km away from Minsk City, and you can use a variety of transfer options. Local taxi services are available any time of day and it takes a 30-minute ride to get from the airport to downtown Minsk.
Archaeologists say that first settlements were built on the hill in the 12th century.
Night Trinity Hill
The district was named after Troitskaya Church and Troitsky Monastery that were erected on the hill back in the 1500s. The hill served as a defensive redoubt to protect the growing city against attacks by enemy troopers. According to old written sources, in the early 1600s, the district’s life was centered around Troitskaya Street. The street linked what was called the Chloosov Bridge with Borisovsky tract (highway). Throughout the history, the street changed its renamed several times, and today it carries the name of a famous Belorussian poet Maxim Bogdanovitch, because he was born in a house located in it. Initially, most houses in the area were built from wood. It was in the 1800s that Trinity Suburb became part of Minsk City.
Historic data says that a big oak-tree used to grow on the hill and all Polish kings that ever passed by this place would stand still and admire it. According to historic evidence, the oak was there until 1919.
The old Troitsky Market was situated exactly where now the Opera Theater and a small park are located. The market played a crucial role the town’s economy. Usually, in times of conflicts, Russian troops were stationed here. In 1771, a mariavit catholic church and a monastery were erected in Troitskaya street. In 1840, the monastery was passed over to Orthodox clergy and became an ecclesiastical seminary.
In 1809, all the wooden buildings were destroyed by fire, and then the city was rebuilt in accordance with the classical canons, which required that the streets be arranged in quadrangular patterns, and stone houses form single facade lines.
Minsk Troitskoe Predmeste
Trinity Suburb was home to middle class people like merchants, craftsmen, peasants, military officers, etc.
In the 1930s and through the 1940s most old buildings and monasteries in Troitskoye Predmestiye were lost due to the Bolshevist anti-religious campaign and World War II damage. Sadly, the destruction continued after the war. Finally, when Nikita Khrushchev, the Soviet leader, visited Minsk in 1962 and wanted the local authorities to show him around the city’s historic district, there was actually nothing they could show him. The government decided that the old town had to be rebuilt, and in 1982 reconstruction works were launched. Today, Troitskoye Predmestiye seems to have pretty much regained its old charm.
The most outstanding tourist places that can be found in this district of the city include the National Museum of the History of Belarusian Literature, Maxim Bogdanovich Literary Museum, Starovinenskaya Street, the Bookshop «Vianok», the gallery of applied art «Slavutia Maistri», etc.
Trinity suburb night shooting